1. Sometimes I wonder if I like a cover of a song better than the original because I heard the cover first or because it really is better than the first one. It’s kind of hard to objectively judge that.
2. Students overuse and incorrectly use the “not only . . . but also” sentence construction.
3. I like Josh Groban’s new cd, Illuminations, better than I thought I would, given some of the negative and conflicting reviews of it. But I like an eclectic assortment of music, including classical music and modern music, so I appreciated the artsy-ness of the cd. If you want run-of-the-mill pop music, don’t buy this cd. That sounded condescending, but many of the songs remind me of art songs, which are highly descriptive but don’t have easily sing-able melodies. Josh’s songs are a little more repetitive than some art songs (not in a bad way, but in the sense that they have a refrain).
4. A lot of preachers and musicians speak of “brokenness,” and while I can see the general principle in Scripture, I wonder if this topic is directly expressed in Scripture. Brokenness is also defined in a different way by each person who preaches or sings about it, so this complicates matters. I’d like to study this word/concept and maybe write about it later.
5. Michael Phelps’s Olympic races were amazing. (I just finished reading a paper comparing Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps.) If I had time, I’d look them up on YouTube, but I want to go to bed before midnight.
6. The music video for Josh Groban’s “Hidden Away” is pretty good.
7. 11:47 pm–I’m to the point that I should just go to bed, because I can’t focus on these papers any more, but I’m afraid I won’t wake up in time to finish in the morning. The recurring grading dilemma . . .
8. I wish I could post about another poem, but this is taking too long. I also wish I could go to bed . . .
9. 12:17–Well, I have two papers to finish, but my brain is fried, so I’m going to bed. Hopefully I’ll be able to get up to grade them in the morning.
10. Staying up late to grade papers when I have a cold and no voice probably isn’t a good idea, but at least tomorrow is the last day of teaching I have this week.