I love that there’s such a great variety of Christmas songs and styles of performing them. I’ve been wanting to post a list of my favorite Christmas songs/cds for a while now. First comes the list of old favorites (from my childhood or long-time favorites), then a list of new songs I’ve become acquainted with in the last year or two. I’ve just lumped all secular and sacred songs together for now.
Old favorites, listed in no particular order:
- “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby–This is a classic! I love the movie, too, and watch it several times every Christmas.
- “Jingle Bells” by Frank Sinatra
- “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole–I don’t know if anyone can beat the original recording.
- Noel by Canadian Brass–I love the whole cd, but especially “God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen,” “The Holly and the Ivy,” “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring,” “Tuba Lullaby” and “Happy Christmas”
- The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky
- Handel’s Messiah
- A Little Christmas Music by The King’s Singers–I especially like “Here We Come A-Wassailing,” “Riu, Riu, Chiu,” “Ding Dong Merrily on High,” and “Es ist ein Ros’ entsprungen” (“Lo! How a Rose E’er Blooming”). The King’s Singers do some neat arrangements of familiar carols and introduce listeners to older carols or songs from other countries and traditions.
- “Sleigh Ride” as recorded on the Boston Pops’s Holiday Pops
New favorites, again listed in no particular order:
- Noel by Josh Groban–I like “Little Drummer Boy,” “Angels We Have Heard on High,” “Petit Papa Noël,” “It Came Upon A Midnight Clear,” “The First Noël,” and “O Come All Ye Faithful.”
- “O Holy Night” by Il Divo–big, powerful arrangement
- “Born That We May Have Life” by Chris Tomlin
- Savior by Sovereign Grace Ministries
- “O Come” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by Chris Sligh
- “Mary, Did You Know” by Clay Aiken
- Selected songs from All I Want for Christmas by Straight No Chaser, for example, “The 12 Days of Christmas,” “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch,” “Sweet Little Jesus Boy,” “Auld Lang Syne,” “Sleigh Ride,” “Christmastime is Here”
- New Irish Hymns #3-Incarnation by Joanne Hogg, Kristyn Getty & Margaret Becker–I love all the songs on this cd and we’ve sung several at church this year.
- “Pat-a-Pan” by David Archuleta
- Peace by Jim Brickman–I especially like “Peace” and “Rejoice”
What are some of your favorite Christmas songs and recordings?